Wednesday, September 3, 2008

The Velvet Ant

No, The Velvet Ant is not a children's book...it is very real!!!  If you have never seen one in person, this is what it looks like.  What???  Doesn't it look like something out of an African rain forest or something!  I saw one a few weeks ago at a friends pool, and was so thankful that I didn't have any at my house.  Well, I do now!  After seeing one yesterday, I immediately called the people that spray our home for bugs to ask them about it.  Apparently these scary looking things can pack quite a punch.  They are known as the "cow killer".  Now they don't really kill cows, it just hurts really bad if you get stung by one.  They are part of the bee/wasp family, but only the male flies and only the female stings.  They also live in the ground so they are hard to get rid of.  Just great!!!  Why find out so much about these huge red ants?  Because I don't want one getting on my kids while they are playing in the yard!  I can only imagine the drama that would surround that!  So, be careful out there.  If you get close enough to one, you can hear a weird hissing noise. Strange, very strange!   

2 comments:

Betty said...

Yikes! That means they can be in my yard! Great! Talk about drama-my Mia (2nd child) is deathly afraid of bugs!!! Thanks for the heads up!!!

Unknown said...

Girl, those things HURT!!!! I made the mistake of picking one up when I was about 5 or 6 years old--I STILL remember how it hurt. Kill 'em. Kill 'em fast!

Take care,
Jada